How to Promote Healthy Hair Growth with Coconut Oil
The coconut tree, especially in the Philippines, is referred to by many as the “Tree of Life”. Aside from its incredibly high economic value, the list of functions of its various parts is almost endless. Its products and by-products are present in almost all industries. One of these products is the coconut oil.
Coconut oil, among its other many uses, is one of the oldest natural products that has long been relied on to aid hair growth. When applied on the scalp, coconut oil acts as a sort of conditioner that promotes natural, healthy hair growth.
Brimming with nutrients, coconut oil stimulates the hair follicles to repair damaged hair, improve hair cuticle and general scalp health which are all prerequisites to growing a fully healthy head of hair. How is coconut oil able to do all of these?
How Coconut Oil Aids Hair Growth
When the goal you want to achieve is hale and hearty hair growth, there’s one simple way to go: proper health and hair care. Coconut oil, because of its organic nature nourishes your scalp to promote healthy hair growth. Here’s how:
- Coconut oil protects hair protein
Lauric acid, a fatty acid found in coconut oil, binds to the protein in hair and shields the roots and strands from damage and breakage.
- Coconut oil moisturizes hair
Coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft to seal in essential moisture that protects your hair from too much heat and other environmental impurities.
- Coconut oil enhances circulation of blood
A simple scalp massage helps stimulate blood circulation, but a scalp massage with coconut oil not only improves circulation of blood in your scalp, it will also boost oxygen and nutrient delivery to your hair.
- Coconut oil nourishes you scalp and strands
Coconut oil contains nutrients and antioxidants that help restore your hair’s shine. Rich in vitamins E, K and iron, application of coconut oil helps get rid of dandruff and improve hair growth.
- Coconut oil fights off bacteria
With its antibacterial and antifungal properties, the use of coconut oil helps shield your scalp and hair from the likes of lice and dandruff, two hair problems that interfere with healthy hair growth.
The aforementioned properties of coconut oil all work together to stimulate your scalp for improved hair growth. But in order to achieve the best results, you should also know how to properly use coconut oil to maximize the benefits it has to offer. Here’s how you can do it:
- Before applying, heat the coconut oil very gently.
- Dampen your hair with warm water.
- Apply one tablespoon of coconut oil onto your hair. Add more if you have longer hair.
- Massage your scalp for at least three minutes to boost blood circulation and for the nutrients to seep in.
- Wear a shower cap and let the coconut oil sit for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo.