5 Home Remedies For Your Itchy Scalp
Having an itchy scalp can be embarrassing and very uncomfortable especially when you’re in public, in an important business meeting or even just hanging out with your friends. So if you can’t keep those fingernails from scratching at your scalp, don’t worry, here’s a round-up of five of the best ways to remedy your itchy scalp at the comfort of your own home:
Baking Soda and Water Mixture
This mixture is an age-old way of soothing the itch on your scalp. Aside from relieving your scalp’s itching through exfoliation, it also helps control dandruff. Follow these easy steps:
- Make a paste by mixing baking soda and water. Apply it directly onto your scalp after rubbing some olive oil to achieve better results.
- Leave it to soak for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse off thoroughly.
Lemon and calamansi have antiseptic properties and are two easily accessible remedies for itchy scalps and dandruff.
- Thoroughly apply pure lemon/calamansi juice on your scalp. If you don’t have dandruff, dilute the juice in water.
- Leave the juice on for about five minutes and shampoo your hair.
You can also mix yogurt with lemon/calamansi juice and apply it on your scalp a couple of minutes before shampooing.
Coconut oil is known for its moisturizing properties that can effectively treat dry skin. It’s also these properties that make it perfect for relieving itching. Here’s what to do:
- Massage a small amount of coconut oil on your hair and scalp after washing it.
- Allow your scalp to absorb the coconut oil for about 30 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Avocado and Banana Mixture
Aside from treating an itchy scalp, this mixture is also an excellent conditioner! The nourishing properties of these two delicious fruits are also really good for your scalp as much as they are for your body.
- Mash two bananas and an avocado together and mix.
- Apply the paste on your scalp and hair for conditioning and leave it on for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse well.
Tea Tree Oil
Flakes? Dandruff? Itchy scalp? With tea tree oil’s antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammation properties, you can say goodbye to itching in no time. Here’s how:
- Add 10 to 20 drops of tea tree oil to half a cup of mild shampoo (e.g. shampoo for kids) and use it everyday until the itching is gone.
- You can also dilute 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil in a tablespoon of vegetable oil and gently massage it on your scalp.